Thursday, February 2, 2012

Blog 1: Multi-Camera Shooting

Over the last week or so in our Communications 360 Studio Production class, we have been learning about multi-camera set-up in Production work. We have learned through videos of Hamish Hamilton and our own personal “feeling out” of the studio how to work in a multiple camera set-up. Some of the things I noticed on terms of the videos were how highly complex and difficult at places a multiple-camera set-up can be. A lot of planning and careful execution has to go in to each shot. It seems to be a little easier once you have the shots planned and worked out.

However, I feel picking out which shot to go with must be difficult, especially during a live broadcast where you want to keep the viewer interested by cutting to different shots but at the same time you don't want to rapid cut to the point where the viewer gets annoyed and you accidentally show something unexpected as with Live TV practically anything can go wrong. I had the benefit of being able to experience directing first hand on Tuesday when our class met. I must say experiencing it first hand I have a high appreciation for anyone who has to do the job, it is not an easy one to be thrown into. Especially for when we're directing in the case of the other day what would be a Live interview show. I had been slightly nervous when I tried working on it to the point where I should have tried pre-planning shots to see how they would look before going “live” with everything. I must say, I cannot imagine the pressure of trying to work so many cameras (say 14 or 15) at once, two in hindsight is rather simplistic as compared to the amount used to film a live concert.

In the end I feel that the Hamish Hamilton are very helpful in getting to know what to do when working in a multiple-camera production and getting the experience of it the other day provided me with the idea of how everything feels and looks in the “Live TV” situation. It also re-iterated the point of “Anything can happen on Live TV”.

No comments:

Post a Comment